Programs and Services
Chemung County Emergency Services Center
The Samaritan Center & Second Place East Homeless Services
Our Goal: to meet the most basic human needs while establishing long-term solutions for poverty relief.
In 2009, in order to more efficiently and effectively provide assistance to individuals and families in crisis, Catholic Charities co-located its emergency services creating a one-stop shop model of service delivery. Each person requesting assistance meets with a Case Manager to complete an assessment of needs, receives guidance and support, and is referred for assistance within the Emergency Services Center as well as to other resources and services in the community leading to long-term solutions.
The Emergency Services Center assists individuals and families with:
- - Food
- - Clothing
- - Personal Care Items (based on availability)
- - Prescription Drug Assistance
- - Health Insurance (appointments can be made to meet with a Fidelis representative on-site)
- HEAP Applications (during the November HEAP season)
- - Emergency Shelter
- - Housing or Rent Assistance
- - Referrals for Financial Planning and Budgeting
The Samaritan Center is located at 380 S. Main St. Elmira, NY 14904.
Hours - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Tuesday: 8:30am - 5pm
(Closed for lunch from Noon - 1pm)
For more information, call 607.734.4898
Emergency shelter after 4:30pm: 607.732.5954
- - Can Openers: non-electric
- - Cleaning Supplies: unopened (toilet brushes, sponges, laundry soap, disinfecting wipes, etc.)
- - Diapers & other Baby Items: unopened
- - Food: non-expired, unopened; perishable & non-perishable
- - Linens: new (pillows, towels, single/twin sheet sets, washcloths)
- - Paper Products: unopened (cups, plates, paper towes, toilet paper, etc.)
- - Personal Care Items: unopened (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, deodorant)
- - Seasonal Clothing: gently used; all sizes
- - Underwear, Bras, Socks & Hats: new
We do not accept: appliances, electronics, furniture, holiday decorations, household items, mattresses, toys/stuffed animals.